Thursday 1 January 2009

Glimmer of hope for Pacific tuna - but only a glimmer

An article from Greenpeace international points to weakness in the agreements from Western and Central Pacific Fisheries Commission. This is likely to continue to result in continued overfishing of bluefin and skipjack tuna fisheries. Objections to plans were raised by China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea and the Philippines.

The small glimmer of hope is the banning of purse seine fisheries in two high seas pockets between Pacific Island countries. Click here for description of purse seine fishing

Implications for me are that tuna is mostly off the menu. Albacore tuna is probably still okay.

Check out the following: http://www.msc.org/cook-eat-enjoy/fish-to-eat/albacore-tuna

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dod,
Great blog! I recently tried to e-mail you with a question I have about marine conservation but my e-mail was sent back to me. Would it be possible to e-mail me at Charismaqueen100@gmail.com? Thank you so much!

EcoMerge said...

Hi, we are a blog also dedicated to tuna conservation. Please come see us!

http://www.ecomerge.blogspot.com/

Thank you!