Thursday 26 April 2007

Tiger Shark Feeding video clip - Scary....!!

Clip from "You Tube" showing a shark feed dive in Fiji. Hand feeding a large (3.5 - 4 metre) and very fat Tiger Shark seems absolutely crazy to me. Also check out the worlds fattest Grey Reef's and a one 'normal' non obese Silver Tip. Fish soup as well..

Tiger Shark and more - You Tube clip

Question is: "is shark feeding a good idea"

I think there are two opposing arguments regarding Shark Feed Diving

  1. Shark Feeds increase encounters with Sharks and can aid in their preservation, by raising awareness and reducing the mystery around sharks.
  2. In other parts of the world shark feeding has been blamed for the rise in attacks in South Africa. They can become habituated to humans and associate them with food.

I think controlled and well managed shark feeding probably has more plus points that negative.

But for myself, I prefer to see natural behaviour and those unexpected encounters and will vere away from shark feed dives.

5 comments:

Paul said...

I can see both sides but I have to go with no feeding.

As a former avid spear fisherman (sling not gun) I've had too many close encounters to consider closer contact with sharks a good idea. I think there are other better ways to raise awareness.

Nice blog!

Peter Emmett said...

I agree with Paul, I think that there are better ways to raise awareness. I don't see many "hand feeding lion experiences" around (I wonder if they ever existed), but a lot has been done to promote conservation through other means.

I also agree with Dod that I prefer the natural observation approach to diving, however much fun it is to "play".

Willod said...

Cool blog, bro, I will keep reading.

Dod said...

I personally don't think it is that clear-cut and I hate to sit on the fence but Pros of allowing controlled (meaning limited number of operators who can't feed everyday in the same location, who provide a limited amount of food and which involves local people)

i. Local people see and understand the benefits of keeping sharks alive rather than finning for the soup trade.

ii. Tourists who see and have a good experience with sharks return home and spread the word, maybe reducing slaughter due to ignorance..?

I think the analogy of the lion feeding is a good one, but breaks down slightly in that they are lucky no-one took a liking to 'lion claw' soup or the like and that lions could be contained and adequately protected (and separated from us) in confined game reserves.

Anonymous said...

Good post.